July 30, 2008

I promise to not Honk at you if you don't Honk at me...

Lincoln is for the most part a very friendly town, slower paced but still big enough to be interesting. However recently I've noticed that Lincoln drivers are getting nastier and nastier! It seems that since the time I started driving honking has doubled, people ride your ass constantly, and no one lets you into to traffic anymore! What do these people think? That they're from Omaha? Lincoln's a quick city to get around in, thus the nastiness is unnecessary.

Last week while running errands I decided to "be the change". I tried to not ride anyone's bumper; I didn't honk (not that I normally do). But get this, I was honked at while waiting at a light… Well guess what buddy, "The big damn sign says NO RIGHT ON RED, and I'm certainly not throwing myself into on coming traffic just so you can get home in time to watch people's court!!" I was somewhat irritated to say the least. Later after several breathing exercises I attempted to "become the change" again.

I was in a line of traffic directly in front of an outlet from a gas station. An older guy was trying to get out and traffic was flying right by him. I paused to let him out of the gas station, assuming he would just pull into the lane I was in. Unfortunately this guy wasn't that smart. He assumes that because I've paused in the middle of the road to help him out, so must have everybody else. So he barrels in front of me, and directly into the car traveling the lane to my left. Though my car was virtually un-touched by the accident I was trapped between the moron directly in front of my car, the poor guy to my left and the curb. See what happens when I try to be nice? I literally encouraged an accident, ruining that other driver's day.

Though I continue to attempt to not ride other people ass's, not honk, and let people into traffic who look like they can handle it in (sorry old people), I am much less concerned with people's rudeness. The best way to change a bully's behavior is to just ignore right? So if a guy honks at me, I just ignore him and start to drive 10 mph down a one-lane 35mph street. You want to ride my car's ass? I'll do whatever I can to make sure I slowly stay in front you all the way to wherever you're going. I'm just "being the change".

No comments: