July 30, 2008

Don't tell me about MY OWN sexual rights, thanks!

Im not embarrassed to admit that I have been on oral contraceptives for over 8 years now. Many women use them, not only to prevent pregnancy but for hormone control, skin problems, etc Honestly the pill is a pretty common thing these days. With that said, I get my prescription from a planned parenthood clinic due to unreasonably high cost of health insurance at my current job. Also I support safe and healthy family planning, and believe that education is the best way to reach people who are unaware of their sexual health and their sexual rights. You cant just tell someone how to behave and expect it to work; you have to educate them on why certain behaviors are dangerous.

Again, with all that said: PLEASE protesters go harass someone who gives a flying fuck what you think! This afternoon I went to go get my prescription filled. On my way out the door a mild mannered older woman stopped me and said,

"You know, this isn't your only option".

So I told her, "I know. They tell you that in there too, but I was just picking my pills, thanks".

As I started to walk away from her she asked me, "Do you think God, your lord and savior, wants you to take those?".

I rolled that one around in my head for a moment, looked at her calmly and said, "I think if God was dead set on me getting knocked up he would have used that .1% to his advantage already, but thanks for your input."

Then the next poor girl walked out, who apparently looked much more influence able then myself, so the woman moved on.

Though a mild confrontation I was still somewhat bothered by it. I wondered if she ever stood in front of sperm banks. All that little pill does is stop a unfertilized egg from dropping. If thats wrong then shouldnt men be judged for masturbation? Isnt that 1,000s of unborn babies being ejaculated? Yet no one really questions the reproductive rights of men, because the women are supposed to be modest ones, the ones capable of controlling themselves sexually. This unbelievable double standard has men and woman around the country completely brainwashed!!

Im sorry but I give my male friends more respect then that. I do think they are capable of controlling themselves. When it comes to controlling ones self I put myself on an equal playing field as men so why is this woman harassing me, not 13 year old boys everywhere? Theyre stopping just as many births from happening as I am.

I truly feel that contraceptives made a significant difference in womens sexual rights; I can enjoy sex like men do, and not feel guilty about it. They allow me to own my sexuality, in a way my grandmother or even mother were never able to. Yet half of the people I see fighting this are women, I just dont understand that. I think family planning and my sexual choices should be between my partner, my doctor, God, and myself. No one (I repeat NO ONE) else has any right to get involved or speak for God (this includes the government).

So PLEASE protestors, Mr. President, Congress and the Catholic Church - stop trying to tell me what God thinks, I can ask myself, thanks.

No comments: