March 19, 2011

Another Els

I am not one for body snarking and I advocate for fashion and style for every body and every person. This is one of the many reasons I find plastic surgery scary. First off, I find any elective yet dangerous surgery somewhat suspect. Allow your body to do what it is supposed to do: age. That said, I am not totally one-sided on the issue. I have friends who have chosen to alter their bodies and faces and not for entirely shallow reasons. I empathize.

So coming from a slight bias with a touch of understanding I watch the Real Housewives franchise. I have caught a few Miami episodes and was immediately wooed and taken aback by Elsa. Elsa is Marysol's mother, a self-proclaimed witch/psychic, and a wine drinker. She is right up my alley. The striking thing? This:


At first I assumed she had suffered through an accident or a fire. A little bit of internet research has shown that her current facial structure is a result of elective surgeries. What have we done, as a society, to make a beautiful woman find this necessary? Bravo.com revealed some older pictures of Elsa.





Personally, I feel pretty certain she would have aged gracefully and beautifully. I still love her presence on the show, but her look shows her insecurity. It can't help but make you sad.

No comments: