April 21, 2011

Marchesa goes to the grotto.


Apparently they're opening a Playboy Club in London. To celebrate Marchesa is doing a quick take on the iconic uniform. Here is what they had to say:

"Marchesa is thrilled to be a part of the Playboy London Club launch, and for the opportunity to design a one off Playboy Bunny costume - one of fashion and pop culture's most iconic emblems, in celebration of the return of this club," says Georgina Chapman, co-founder and designer of the luxury label. "We've taken our inspiration from the original costume but added Marchesa's signature details, such as hand draping and embroidery, while staying true to the Playboy Bunny's classic corset silhouette. The result is a modern, yet feminine interpretation of this legendary look."

You can't see much from the sketch. I adore Marchesa so I'm not super excited about this. Let me explain... Playboy feels... well, cheap. I get that they have the Vegas suites and that the clubs are exclusive, but there is no getting around where they really make their money. I'm not knocking those folks, that's their style choice, but it is inline with the Marchesa esthetic? No. I think of crotchless bodysuits when I think of Playboy (which clearly have a time and place) and romantic and whimsical gowns when I think of Marchesa. This? Does not compute.

The part I find funny? They're auctioning it off for breast cancer. Playboy remains loyal to it's pro-boob position.

[source: Fashionista]

No comments: