April 15, 2011

A Little Bit of Chicken Fried

Tonight I was reminded of an evening I spent with my mother at the Holiday Inn in Lexington Kentucky. We were road tripping my from (past) sublet condo in Williamsburg Virginia back home to Nebraska. We arrived in Lexington the evening of July 3rd and hit the downtown area right after the 4th of July parade ended. After 12 hours of driving followed by wandering around and eating some (amazing) BBQ, at what we discovered was probably the one lesbian bar/restaurant in downtown Lexington, we were more than ready to go to the hotel. Being of the same linage we were both drawn to the hotel bar for a few drinks before hitting the sack. What we discovered was epic. A local and quite authentic blue grass band! The majority of patrons in the bar were clearly family and friends. The bartender was adorable and not so into the blue grass. The whole experience was so... Kentucky. The following day we drove through the Kentucky countryside to Louisville and toured Churhill Downs, the home of the Kentucky Derby.


Why does this merit a blog post you ask? This random unimpressive yet lovely memory got me thinking. Through my professional and academic associations I befriend and work with some very well-traveled folks. Outside of Canada and Mexico I have never traveled extensively outside of U.S. states or territories. I have never really have the money. I travel on the cheap. Regularly I hear about very impressive international travels, and don't get this post wrong, I don't mean to diminish those trips. Someday I hope to travel to remote and famous international locations. That said, I have explored the U.S. somewhat extensively and largely by road trip. And. It. Has. Been. Awesome.

Getting to know my people, my citizens, and my (forgive the cliche) fellow Americans has been an experience all its own. I've gone from Manhattan to San Fransisco...


I've had a meaningful experiences visiting every Navy base my father was stationed in Puerto Rico and Norfolk Virginia...



...the Wisconsin state fair in Milwaukee, South Beach in Miami and Key West with my best girlfriend...


The Mall of America in Minneapolis, plenty of quick trips to Denver and Red Rocks, a few whirlwinds in Las Vegas, Snowy Range Wyoming and beyond...



The upshot? I love this country. The diversity of people and personality you can get without a passport never fails to amaze me. What does that have to do the "Chicken Fried" title you ask? Living in middle America gives me this gift. I can be in the south or west or close to a cost in 13 hours via car. People under estimate the value of the road trip and the value of the Midwestern locale... and our propensity of "chicken frying" everything.

This May I head to Alabama with my best friend. We plan on taking several civil rights tours and attending a hot air balloon race. While this isn't Paris, having an understanding of our American heritage is invaluable to me. My connection to this land and my country is undeniable - and yes this is coming from a liberal feminist.

No comments: