August 22, 2011

DIY Matchy-Matchy White Board

My DIY streak continues! Our wonderful friends Liz and Neal are getting married this September in their back-yard. Liz LOVES gardening and all things natural and personal, so she seemed like the perfect friend to make a "white board" for. I got this idea from Offbeat Home. It's crazy simple and easy.


Step One: Find a picture frame you love. It must have a glass front/insert. This will be the whole bases of the white board. I found an awesome drift wood frame that even had a little ledge - a perfect spot to store markers!

Step Two: Find an awesome fabric or paper to go behind the glass in the picture frame. I struggled to find something that had just the right personality, but that wasn't too busy to read text over. Remember this will be the background of your white board. You can write over black and white paisley, but you won't be able to read it!

Step Three: Take the backing off the frame just like you would to place a picture inside it. In my case this was simply a piece of cardboard. Cut your fabric to the size and shape of the photo frame backing.

Step Four: Think of the best way to attach your fabric or paper. Because my backing was cardboard I simply pulled the fabric over the edges and stapled it. Originally I planned on glueing, you could do whatever. Put the backing in and you're done!


One of my favorite parts is that this project is easy to hang, as most frames come with hooks.

Liz plans to use hers in her kitchen. It was a fun and easy gift to make!

No comments: