December 9, 2008

Worst person ever or pleasantly sardonic?

I'm a project associate and web programmer in the world of juvenile court advocacy. I travel around with professionals who train caseworkers, lawyers and judges about the best ways to help children in the court system. Often it seems they're preaching to the choir. If I thought it was OK to smack around my baby I probably wouldn't have taken a job in child advocacy. Just a thought. Anyhow, I was sitting through a presentation on child neurological development for about the 7th time. The presenter then reached the most ridiculous power point slide of all time. Big black bold letters reading "DON'T HIT CHILDREN". At this point I turn to my co-worker and mutter, "Yeah, they might have guns". I realize the intent of the slide was to be striking (pun intended), but seriously, this room knows not to hit children. It deserved a joke, I swear. My co-worker, however, disagreed. "Elllsssss, that's not funny! Kids are getting beat everyday!" Yes, as if I am OK with that. Hearing about child abuse everyday is darn depressing, every once in awhile I need to make a borderline inappropriate joke. Also I would make the case that a lot of kids DO have guns. Just food for thought.

No comments: