October 30, 2008

What is it about skanks in the fall?

I faithfully watch America's Next Top Model, Paris Hilton's BFF and Rock of Love: Charm School (probably the most despicable). I don't know why. I would like to say that watching makes me feel better about myself, and while that's true (who doesn't seem better in comparison?), it can't be the only reason I tune in. Technically these shows stand for everything I hate. Objectifying women, encouraging women to exploit themselves for attention, preaches that sex is a woman's most powerful tool (in that crowd, hello STDs!), and that fame is something that be gained solely by bad behavior. Not only do these shows "stand" for those principals, they seem to be proving them true. I mean I actually know who Heather is. I know she has a "Bret" tattoo on her neck. I know who she is because she behaves like a 3 year old, is unnervingly open about her sexuality and most likely has the clap at any given moment. It worked. Being a skank made her famous.

I'm no closer to knowing what it is about these train wrecks that keep me watching, but whatever it is it's powerful shit. Powerful, depressing, shit.

No comments: