September 18, 2008

A Catholic, 2 Jews and a Unitarian walk into a...

...child welfare conference. My ever-enthralling job as a lawyer lackey has taken me to Bridgeport Nebraska for our Regional Conference. The conference in and of itself isn't so bad. It's the traveling that's a bit strenuous. Today's conference involved a six hour van drive with my boss (a shrink), our staff attorney, a juvenile judge and me... a graduated art student attempting to make the shift into law school.

...I don't need to tell you the two crowds aren't exactly the same. The difference most noticeable in the use of the word bowl, they're either loading one or buying one at Pottery Barn. I'll let you guess which group does what.

Anyhow, I don't exactly feel like I fit in with my traveling partners. Some how I always feel stupid. I don't actually think I'm less intelligent, I only lack in the additional years of formal schooling, yet somehow I inherently feel "less-than". I can only hope this won't be a feeling that continues to plague me law school. Have I mentioned I haven't told them I'm applying to law school? My co-workers I mean. They don't know. For some reason I'm scared they'll laugh at me.

Some days I just SCREAM insecurity with every move I make.

No comments: